books by famous people

Ok, I have low expectations when I read the memoirs or essays written by actors, because though many of them are extremely talented and maybe even good writers, most are not.

I started Lena Dunham's new collection of essays, Not That Kind of Girl, a little hopeful because I enjoyed some of what she was trying to accomplish in the show Girls (though that show got on my nerves after 1 season), but just wound up feeling extremely annoyed the whole time I was reading NTKOG. I kept thinking, "but you are that kind of girl!"

Reading her book made me feel like I was sitting in on a bizarre therapy session that went on way too long. It reads unclearly, Dunham bouncing around with not always clear indicators of how things make sense. I used to have a 100 page rule: I would read the first 100 pages of a book even if I hated it. My time has grown more valuable to me and I now have a 40 page rule. I wanted to give up after 40 pages but I wanted to believe that Dunham would find her stride, so I kept reading to see if something could be gained from the experience. I read the whole book for the same reason that people will look at an accident on the highway as they pass by--the morbid curiosity of it.

Moral of the story:  I want those hours of my life back.


Amy Poehler's Yes, Please!  

Loved loved loved it. The writing didn't flow as smoothly as Tina Fey's Bossypants, and I connected better with Mindy Kaling's Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (probably because she's single without kids too!), but Poehler's comedic voice and delivery was present. The book is full of funny stories, just enough information about Poehler without being annoying, and funny tips on life. 

Moral of the story: Definitely a worthwhile read for lovers of SNL or Poehler's Parks & Rec! 


 BJ Novak's The Book With No Pictures
This video of Novak reading the book is awesome and made Prairie Dawn and me crack up. So excited for her to share this with the storytime kiddos soon!

Like Mo Willems' Pigeon series, the books clever magic will be made that much funnier by how willing the reader is to play along and get fake frustrated by the book as it demands the reader to do sillier things, much to the joy of the kids! I love love love this book and thinks it's such a funny, clever take on a kids book!

Moral of the story: READ IT!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

eggnog with lighter fluid and other cherished Christmas memories

sample retirement acceptance letter

meditating through my HULK SMASH